Monday, February 14, 2011

2 Valentine's Day "Love Nuggets"

On this day of love I feel an additional amount of pressure to write something brilliant about love. But when I think about it…I’d like to share two of my favorite lessons about love/gifts anyone ever told me about. Two little “love nuggets”of wisdom if you will. I hope this inspires how you show love to others on this Valentine’s day and throughout the year.

1) I started dating this guy one time and the day he asked me to be his girlfriend, he also asked me one thing, “Promise me it’s ok that we will never celebrate Valentine’s Day?” Laughing I said, “Sure that’s nothing. It’s always a holiday full of lots of expectation. Why don’t you like it?” He then explained how he somehow always seemed to mess it up every year. He followed all of this up by promising me that he would make sure I felt loved and special every other day of the year and that I would never miss celebrating Valentine’s day. Now how romantic is that? And he stayed true to his word.

I just wish we would all take this same stance toward one another every day. Why not love out of the abundance of your heart every day? Why not write a thoughtful affirming card every couple of weeks to someone? Why not buy someone flowers just because? Why not hang with all of your single buddies and share in community? Why not tell the people in your life how much they mean to you always? Why not romance your partner or spouse the other 364 days a year? I hope this blog helps inspire that type of spontaneous and thoughtful romance. I am no “Debbie Downer” on Valentine’s. I mean I love pastel colors, sweets, hearts and letters of affection more than most of ‘em. I just think we should inspire this type of romance daily.  

2) A boyfriend once taught me one of the best lessons when it comes to giving gifts. He said “The best gift is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time.” SO TRUE! This statement is brilliant. I love a good surprise. Surprises may be one of my top 5 favorite things in the world.  So take this gem of wisdom and next time you think of it surprise someone with a gift at an unexpected time for an unexpected reason. It will brighten their day, warm their heart, grow their affection toward you and others, bless them and make them feel like the special person they are.
Thanks GJR.

1 comment: