Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Loving a Miracle

Sometimes in life things happen. Things that you can not overcome without a completely different perspective. Things that leave you forever changed. This is the story of a miracle I survived by only the grace of God. Exactly a year ago today I was involved in a horrible car accident. I remember thinking to myself earlier in the week that I had never experienced a miracle. I had heard of miracles happening in third world countries and from friends and family, but until this day I could not have said I had seen one for myself.

This is the story of my miracle…
Later that week I was on the 101 in Los Angeles (a very busy freeway during rush hour.) I was excited to be attending one of my first events I had been working on in Los Angeles. I was cruising along in the far left lane when another car crossed 3 lanes of traffic side swiping my car and sending me directly into the median as I was going 65mph. I distinctively remember grabbing the steering wheel ready to brace for the impact and saying, “Ok God here we go.” I don’t know what happened exactly after that I just remember opening my eyes, being in a lot of pain, feeling blood dripping from my face and body and knowing that I needed to get out of the car. (I had seen too many movies where the car blows up after a wreck, so I wanted to make sure I got out of there as soon as possible. Too much late night Rescue 911 I guess.) I then saw two men running over to me looking at me like I was a Zombie. They were shocked to see me alive and helped me get out of the car and carried me to the side of the road. Of course I went into adrenaline mode and asked them, “Are yall ok? Oh my goodness what happened! This is a miracle….wait I need to call work!” (I was worried about being late for my first event….haha) In confusion I then asked them, “I was hit by another car and spun around, right? Did I hit you?” (Realizing that it would have been impossible to not have collided with another car on one of the country’s busiest free ways) The one gentleman said, “No, you didn’t spin you flipped 3 times!” Looking to the scene of the accident I noticed my car now looked like the DeLorean from Back to the Future with the wheels flipped inside themselves. Analyzing my car I realized that I had just been involved in and experienced a miracle. I then started talking to the ambulance workers and the two men helping me and said, “I am so thankful for yall. Thank you! You don’t understand what a miracle this is. God bless you! God saved me…Also can you please leave your business cards because I am a firm believer in thank you notes.” Then they both smiled at me and said, “You’re not from Los Angeles are you?!”

I tell this story not to scare anyone but to truly celebrate the love, compassion and grace that was shown to me a year ago today. I am forever grateful and humbled that God chose to save me in that situation. It was/is a miracle! Every doctor, paramedic and family friend has been able to attest to this. My life has a purpose and a meaning and my work in the world is not yet done. God saved me and I am even more in love with him today because of this miracle.

My life is a miracle…so is yours…its knowing that...and what we do in response...that defines us. Love the life you live and bless those around you!

1 comment: